Army of Mom

So this is how liberty dies ... with thunderous applause.


No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth

I've had calls, emails and text messages from friends and family to see if I'm still alive and kicking. Or they might be checking to make sure that Army of Dad hasn't finally locked me in the cellar (as if we even have those in Texas) and told me to rub the lotion on its skin and do what its told.

He hasn't. I'm safe, I think.

No, it has just been one of those weeks. One of my various publishing bosses decided to move payroll offices and not take the invoices with them. So, a check that I always count on never arrived. We've been counting our pennies in the meantime. We've gone to support the UNT Mean Green men's basketball team hoping they'll do a repeat of last season and win the Sun Belt Conference and make the NCAA tourney. I'm also hoping Baylor makes the tourney or at least NIT.

As you know, I was sick on Tuesday spending at least part of my workday sleeping. Fortunately, it was really a 24-hour-knock-you-on-your-ass-virus. I am still not 100 percent, but I'm much better. I'm now on day 15 of full-blown monthly cycle that was hopefully going to be eliminated by my endometrial ablation on Jan. 17. The doctor has told me not to give up hope yet, but to give it three or four months to see if it improves. If I'm still visited by Aunt Flo on Thursday, I'm supposed to call back. I'm still on my diet, but had a setback on Saturday when I couldn't fight the urge to eat Wavy Lay's with ketchup. Thankfully, due to my Lenten sacrifice, I still haven't chowed down a Blizzard or Kit Kat.

We've had activities pretty much every night this week. Saturday brought us the day of Hot Rod. He had a soccer game at 8:24 in Dallas and totally rocked out the game playing forward the first half and keeper the second. No subs for that game, so he was in it for the long haul. We broke some traffic laws and made it back to the hometown for a 10 a.m. basketball game. Hot Rod's team was down from 8 to 5 because of chicken pox and flu. So, he played the entire first half without resting, the first period after the half and most of the last period. So, he played about 28 minutes of the 36 minute game. He was good, too. We went to eat and then he had a birthday party at Main Event to attend. Video games, laser tag and a sundae with whipped cream. Life was good. Then, we went to the UNT game for more excitement.

Today, he was fine all morning until just about game time. Yeah, he had another soccer game today. He started coughing some on the way to the game, but was still ok. Then, as he was getting ready to go in goal, he complained about a sore throat and headache. While on the pitch, he started looking worse. Then, all hell broke loose. He was dying out there. He stuck it out though, not quitting until he actually threw up on the field. Bless his heart. It wasn't a full out vomit, but that thing that happens when you cough and cough and cough and you just hack up whatever you just drank (purple G2 Gatorade). His team, once again, had no subs. He was tough. When we got him in the car, he had chill bumps, but was burning up. He had body aches and was hot/cold. So, he has it now. I'm hoping his is the 24-hour version of the flu-like virus that I had earlier this week. He is snoozing on the couch for the night. Little Bit was really sweet and helped us take care of him, even though I tried to keep her away. I imagine it is way too late for a difference to be made at this point. I can hope, though.

So, between all that and the fact that I was driven around for an hour on Friday in a Cadillac Escalade (sweet ride) in fear that we were going to be jacked at any moment ... anyway, things are good. Just busy. I'm tired and I have about a jillion stories to write and do interviews for this week. Wish me luck.

Oh yeah, and my nephew is having some Eagle Scout ceremony in a few weeks. What do you give an 18-year-old boy for earning Eagle Scout? I have no clue. He leaves for engineering school sometime this summer. I've already given him giant monogrammed towels for Christmas in anticipation of dorm life. I'm clueless.

I'm off to bed. I'm exhausted.


  • At 9:00 PM, February 17, 2008, Blogger Moi said…

    How about a gift card to Best Buy or Blockbuster?

  • At 9:17 PM, February 17, 2008, Blogger Gadfly said…

    Yeah. Gift card. No telling what he's into.

    And monogrammed towels might get his ass kicked, depended what dorm he ends up in.

  • At 7:57 AM, February 18, 2008, Blogger Army of Mom said…

    Gift card it will likely be, then.

    And, Gadfly, I think he's safe. He's going to some MIT-caliber school for engineers. So,they'll all be dorky smart types.

  • At 8:00 AM, February 18, 2008, Blogger Trudy said…

    I think you can look on the web....they have a website with Eagle Scout gifts...maybe at the Boy Scout website. We went to a ceremony last year and my friend ordered a wooden box with the eagle scout emblem on it.

  • At 9:18 PM, February 18, 2008, Blogger BULLSEYE said…

    Just thought I'd let ya know. Gotta contest goin' on over here!

  • At 12:44 PM, February 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MacAirĀ®13" maybe.

    "nd told me to rub the lotion on its skin and do what its told." took me a sec, I chortled.

    chris muir

  • At 2:10 PM, February 19, 2008, Blogger Army of Mom said…

    Check it out ... I have all kinds of readers from the porno pirate Bullseye to Day By Day's Chris Muir. I even made him chortle.

    I feel very honored. :)

    And, no way, no how, am I buying the nephew an expensive camera. :) He'll be lucky to get a $25 gift card from his cheap ass aunt. :)


Post a Comment

<< Home