Army of Mom

So this is how liberty dies ... with thunderous applause.


A day without makeup

I think that will be the name of my autobiography.

Saturday was one of those days. We were up late Friday night having Hot Rod's birthday party at the Dallas Desperados game. We had three guests over that night, too. Saturday morning, Army of Dad cooked breakfast for the 10 people at our house (my folks were here, too) while my dad and I ran to get a shirt for a guest player for our tournament that day. We had to drive to the neighboring city since I won't go to the store-which-shall-not-be-named after the "incident." Then, we went to Home Depot to get a window AC unit for Pickle's room. Our old AC system in the house won't cool the upstairs well, so we thought this would be a relatively cheap and quick fix. My dad was installing it while the rest of us ran wild trying to get ready for this day of days.

We had a tball game at noon. Hot Rod played great hitting some line drives that went to right centerfield. Pretty impressive for tball. He managed to assist in enough put-outs to help the team win 15-9.

Then, we had to split up from the baseball fields. Army of Dad took the older guys for their soccer tournament check in and then warm-up at 1:30 for a 2:15 game.

I took the two little ones and headed for a white trash birthday party (remember the brat from the field trip? It his party). I knew it would be like a scene from Hee Haw meets Monster Garage and boy, was I right. I didn't take pictures because I felt pretty snotty. I hate feeling like that. But, we wound up having to go pretty quickly because AoD wanted me at the soccer fields.

So, our rec team - of 11-year-olds and three 12-year-olds) got slammed by one of the best select 12-year-old teams in the region 10-0. We had an hour in between warm-ups for the next game, so I took the boys to get burgers and hung out at the fields. AoD went home to shower quickly and get his ref gear. The next game was worse because the kids were snotty and poor sports. They smacked the boys down 13-0. Our boys are a pretty good rec team, but this was rough on them. They played well for the circumstances and the select (in case you didn't know, this is a system where you pay professional coaches and have to try out to make the teams) coaches were impressed with our boys holding their own.

Immediately after our second game, AoD was reffing more games. He had already signed up to ref before we knew we'd be playing in the tourney. By the time we were done - the games were running late - it was 7 p.m. So, we had been out and running since 11:30. I took kids home and got everyone bathed or showered. Little Bit went to bed immediately. I mowed the lawn since it was looking rough.

Then, me and the boys had "movie night" with Hoodwinked. I made spaghetti and we had a picnic in front of the TV. We didn't make it through the movie ad I got them to bed about 9:15 p.m. I collapsed into the garden tub and scrubbed away the day's dirt and sunscreen and managed to get a decent tan on my legs and no sunburn. None of my kids were burned, so that was a nice achievement.

I waited until AoD was home around 11ish to wash so I wasn't doing any more work than I had to. I watched Pirates of the Caribbean and dozed off and on while waiting for him. Finally made it to bed around 12:30 or so. I had to be up at 6 a.m. this morning to go get donuts and get everyone ready for the day. AoD was out the door at 7:15 to pick up our guest player and warm up the boys. I headed out shortly after for our 8 a.m. game. This was one was not near as ugly - although these refs didn't know how to blow the whistle and call a foul (even the other team's parents acknowledged that). We lost 8-0 in this game.

The unexpected happy moment for AoD came when I relented and told him he could coach this team even if Pickle wasn't playing, so he told the kids after the last game. They cheered.

After the, we ran kids where they needed to be and then I went back to watch one of our former players in the third place game. After that, I took the kids to Target so Hot Rod could use a birthday gift card and then we had lunch at Cici's. I came home and my mother's day gift was a two-hour nap. Actually, I picked up the unrated 40-year-old Virgin on DVD for my gift. AoD is reffing soccer games and will take me out to dinner tonight. So, no cooking today: THAT is a gift.


Post a Comment

<< Home